Happy Monday! Thanks for checking out Art&Seek’s weekly look back at the biggest and most important stories in the North Texas arts scene. If you or your friends want to know more about what’s happening in the North Texas arts world, check out our weekly newsletter. Click here to sign up.
A Quick Look At Art&Seek’s Reporting
- Nowadays, it seems there’s a podcast for just about everything. Despite the variety, not everyone feels served. In this week’s Art&Seek Artist Spotlight, I connect with an arts collective hoping to represent for North Texas Latinos through parties, art shows and podcasting.
- Tom Clancy, author of blockbusters like “The Hunt for Red October,” died in 2013. Yet thrillers keep coming out under his name. The latest book is called “Power and Empire” and it’s written by Fort Worth native Marc Cameron. Art&Seek’s Anne Bothwell talks with him about taking on Clancy’s legendary characters.
- When the Kimbell Art Museum opened its current exhibition, ‘Casanova: The Seduction of Europe,’we had a chance to talk with co-curator, Frederich Ilchman of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, about the show’s elaborate, immersive nature and the many gilt-edged artworks chosen for it. But with the recent visit to the Kimbell by Ian Kelly, author of ‘Casanova: Actor, Lover, Priest, Spy,’ his acclaimed biography from 2008, we had a chance to talk about the man himself, his life in the 18th century (1725-1798) – and his infamous reputation.
What Else You’ve Got To Know
- North Texas Theaters Will Convene To Discuss Sexual Harassment (Art&Seek)
- Dallas Black Dance Theatre Steps Up (D Magazine)
- Bass Family Van Gogh Nearly Sets Record At Auction (Star-Telegram)
- Newly Discovered Andy Warhol Art Up For Auction (WBUR)
- Memorial Set For Meadows Museum Curator Nicole Atzbach (Art&Seek)
- The Popular Deep Ellum Hangout Has A Cowtown Location: Twilite Lounge 2 (FW Weekly)
- No More Smoking In Denton Bars Come 2018 (Central Track)
- AT&T PAC Announces Lineup For 2018 Speaker Series (Art&Seek)
What We’re Reading
- Breaking The Bubble Of Food Writing: Cultivating Diverse Stories (NPR)
- The Whisper Network, Part 2 (Theater Jones)
- The Real Meaning of the Robert E. Lee Statue (D Magazine)
- Close to the Ground: Lily Cabatu Weiss Leads the Dallas Arts District Forward (Arts + Culture)
- Survey Of Top Architecture Firms Reveals “Quite Shocking” Lack Of Gender Diversity At Senior Levels (DE ZEEN)
- Katherine Bradford at the Modern (Arts + Culture)
- Solstice At Theatre Three Is An Uneven New Holiday Experience (Culture Map)
- How a Bay Area Filmmaker Chose Fort Worth for His First Feature (D Magazine)
- The Languages of All-Women Exhibitions (Contemporary Art Review)
- 7 Dallas Artists to Watch in 2018 (Dallas Observer)
What We’re Listening To
- “Honey” – Jessie Frye
- “Terribility” – Oil Boom
What We’re Looking At
- How Harvey Weinstein’s Sexual Abuse Cover Up Fell Apart (The New Yorker)
Photo Of The Week