The Wynne Chapel tower is the majestic focal point of the Austin College campus. Completed in 1958 as a gift from Toddie Lee Wynne, Sr., the chapel has served continually as a reminder and sustainer...
The Wynne Chapel tower is the majestic focal point of the Austin College campus. Completed in 1958 as a gift from Toddie Lee Wynne, Sr., the chapel has served continually as a reminder and sustainer of the religious heritage of Austin College. Mr. Wynne, long-time chairman of the Board of Trustees, was a well-know Texas oilman and civic leader from Dallas. An active Presbyterian layman, he had a strong commitment to the support of church causes and programs throughout the nation. The building is 13,208 square feet and seats 900 people in the main sanctuary plus an additional 120 in the balcony. It serves as the hub of campus religious life. There are choir rooms, offices, a conference room and a small prayer room in the building. A major addition to the chapel came in 1967, when the Carillon, with 24 bronze bells imported from the Netherlands, was constructed in the bell tower. Dr. Richard Tappa played a special concert on the bells for their dedication on October 20, 1967. The Aeolian-Skinner organ was also a gift of the Wynne family and was installed in 1963. Today, the building houses the offices of the campus chaplain. The Wynne Chapel remains a favorite campus landmark.
The architect of Wynne Chapel was the late Peyton G Cooper. He was an independent architect from Dallas who did many of the buildings at Austin college including the chapel, the library, Dean Hall, the natatorium and the theater. His name appears on a brass plaque in Dean Hall Lobby.
All fields are required.
Your email address:
Nature of the problem: