Join Dallas Historical Society and Dr. Janice Franklin as she discusses The Influence of African Americans in Jazz, Blues, Rock, Tejano, and Country Music.
Dr. Janice L. Franklin is a professor of Humanities and Music at Mountain View College in Dallas, Texas. She earned her Ph.D. in Humanities-Aesthetic Studies from the University of Texas at Dallas. Dr. Franklin is an accomplished musician, holding a Bachelor’s of Music and a Master of Arts in Music with a piano performance concentration. Dr. Franklin has extensive professional experience in musical theatre as a music director and producer in Dallas and New York, and in jazz performance through ensemble and recording studios. She was twice nominated for the Leon Rabin Outstanding Music Director award. As a composer, she has created and produced two original musical theatre works. Dr. Franklin has served as President of the Board of Directors for S.T.A.G.E., and as a Board member for several arts organizations.
Dr. Franklin is the Coordinator for Humanities at Mountain View College. She was recognized by Mountain View College and by the Dallas County Community College District through the award of the DCCCD’s highest honor for excellence in teaching, the Minnie Stevens Piper Excellence Award 2010. This recognition was highlighted in the University of Texas at Dallas Alumni publication for UT Dallas Magazine – winter 2012. She teaches Music Literature, Jazz Piano, American Minority Studies, Popular Culture, and Fine Arts Appreciation.
- FREE and open to the public.
- Individual reservations are not necessary, but requested and appreciated for large groups planning to attend.
- Tables will be available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Attendees are welcome to bring their own “brown bag” lunch to enjoy during the presentation.
- Each lecture will last approximately one hour
Brown Bag Lectures are supported in part by Dallas Office of Cultural Affairs.
Dates & Times
- Tuesday, August 13, 2019 @ 12:00 pm 2019-08-13 12:00:00 2019-08-13 15:00:00 America/Chicago Brown Bag Lecture: The Influence of African Americans in Jazz, Blues, Rock, Tejano and Country Music with Dr. Janice Franklin //artandseek.org/calendar/event/98405/brown-bag-lecture-the-influence-of-african-americans-in-jazz-blues-rock-tejano-and-country-music-with-dr-janice-franklin Hall of State at Fair Park, 3939 Grand Avenue, Fair Park, Dallas, TX, 75210