Farmer Lee Jones, founder of The Chef’s Garden in Ohio, premieres The Chef's Garden's® Roots on the Road conference for the first time ever outside his home state at the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden on Saturday, March 23.
This culinary event is the last day of the Food and Wine Festival, which runs March 21 to 23. Jones serves as the Honorary Farmer Chair, Chef Sharon Van Meter is the chef chair, and Melissa Lewis is the event chair.
The Roots conference runs from 9:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. The day concludes with a seasonal farm-to-table dinner, prepared from fresh, local grown produce starting at 5:30 p.m. with cocktails. A ticket for the workshop and dinner is $225. A dinner-only ticket is $125. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.dallasarboretum.org/foodwinefest.
The Chef's Garden's Roots on the Road Schedule:
Coffee & Noshes – Sponsorship by local coffee and Katherine Clapner Kolaches
Farmers Market – Produce from 1st-panel farms
10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
Farms: Big & Small, How can we help each other?
Moderated by Farmer Lee Jones
- Daron Babcock, Bonton Farms
- Jeff Bednar, Profound Microfarms
- Nelson Carter, Cartermere Farms
- Elizabeth Dry, POP/La Bajada Urban Youth Farms
- Sofia Martinez, Rae Lili Farm
12:30 p.m.–2:00 p.m. – Box Lunch
Work-Life Balance Panel
Moderated by Chef Mathew Peters, first American to win the coveted Bocuse d’Or award
- Junior Borges
- Lisa Lavender, The Lisa Lavender
- Nikky Phinyawatana, Asian Mint
- Lisa Welch, Make Ready Experience
How Can Green be Greener? Guide to better practices in a reusable world
Moderated by Chef Sharon Van Meter and presented by EarthxTaste
- Lauren Clarke, Turn Compost
- Bob Curry, City of Dallas
- Kelly Freeman
- Jessie Zarazaga, Southern Methodist University
Food Trends to Watch in 2019
Moderated by Beth Rankin, The Dallas Observer
- Randy DeWitt, Front Burner Restaurants
- Roger Kaplan, RK Innovation
- Mariam Parker, Austin Food & Wine Alliance
- Ron Ruggless, Senior Editor, Nation’s Restaurant News
Dinner: Waste Not, Want Not Dinner
5:30 p.m. Cocktails
6:30 p.m. Dinner
Lead Chef: Peter Barlow, Niteshade Chef Collaborative
Chef Jamie Simpson, The Culinary Vegetable Institute at The Chef’s Garden
Chef Junior Borges
Chef Katherine Clapner, Dude Sweet Chocolate
Chef Graham Dodds
Chef Josh Harmon, The Belmont Room
Chef Jeffery Hobbs, Slow Bone
Chef Chad Houser, Café Momentum
Chef Sean Jett, Humble Pies
Chef Robert Lyford, Patina Green Inc.
Chef Andrea Shackelford, Harvest Seasonal Kitchen
Chef David Anthony Temple, Chef DAT LTD