29th annual Cardboard Boat Regatta
9 am to 4 pm
Saturday, April 21, 2018
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor
The Cardboard Boat Regatta challenges amateur boat builders – youth and adult – to design, build and navigate boats made entirely of corrugated cardboard. The crafty cardboard creations then sail (or sink!) in Hurricane Harbor’s Wave Pool as they compete for a variety of trophies. Spectators have just as much fun cheering on the courageous crews and soaking up the event-day activities. In addition to hosting this fabulous event for us, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor opens a few select rides, such as the Tornado, Tsunami Surge, Typhoon Twister and Hook’s Lagoon.
- View a photo gallery from the 2017 Regatta!
- Download a Boat Building Manual to take you step by step through the process.
- Regatta Race & Safety Rules
Boat Entries (Designed & built before event day)
- Boaters must be 8 years old
- Crews can consist of 1 to 10 members
- These boat entries can also include our Class II mechanical boats, which use muscle-powered propulsion systems (propellers, paddle wheels, sails) and steering systems (rudders) that do not need to be made of cardboard.
- Winning boats awarded trophies that include Fastest Finish; Best of Show; Rah, Rah; & Titanic for most spectacular sinking
Build on Site Boats
Don’t have time to build a boat before race day? Sign up on event day for Class III Build on Site to construct a Guppy (2-person) boat in just two hours. You and your crew will receive:
- 3 pieces of cardboard
- 2 rolls of duct tape (only allowed on Build on Site boats)
- 2 sheets of plastic
- box cutter
- A trophy is awarded to the fastest finish
Boat Kits – NEW!
Thanks to our generous sponsor, Harris Packaging, participants can pre-purchase a pre-cut boat kit that all you have to do is assemble, paint and decorate to make it your own theme! Boat kits can be designed for 4 to 6 crew members.
- Cost is $100
- Limited supply of 10 kits available, on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Boat kits can be picked up from Harris Packaging by appointment on Saturdays.
- Order your boat kits on the entry forms, or contact Kristi Payne via e-mail or 817.860.6752, ext. 107.
High School Challenge
All high schools that enter a boat in one or more categories in the Cardboard Boat Regatta are automatically entered in the High School Challenge!
- Paint your boat in your school colors
- Make the mascot the captain of your ship
- Show your school spirit to win the Rah!Rah! Award!
- Win the High School Challenge Trophy!
Grab your friends, family or crewmates and add a little extra competition to the day! Passes can be purchased on event day to enjoy playing these available sports in our NEW Game Area:
- No trophies – just the fun of winning (and of course your own personal bragging rights!)
- Enjoy some splash time at Hook’s Lagoon
- Hula Hoop contests
- Bubble Play
- Mini-Boat Regatta
- For children ages 4 to 12
- $5 entry fee
- Race a small pinewood sailboat along a rain gutter by blowing into the sail.
- Pinewood sailboat kits can be purchased at Acorns Gift Shop inside River Legacy Living Science Center and built and decorated before event day.
- Download a Mini-Boat Regatta Entry Form Here
The Cardboard Boat Regatta is one of four fundraising events throughout the year that support environmental education at River Legacy Living Science Center & River Legacy Parks.