The Beginner Photography Full-Day Workshop returns to DCP as an in-person workshop! The workshop will be held down in our gallery with plenty of space to social distance. Please view our COVID policies and procedures here. When you register, you will need to sign our COVID policy agreement and waiver.
You must wear a mask during this full-day workshop. There are no exceptions. If you don’t plan to wear a mask, then please don’t register for this workshop.
This workshop is a perfect place to start for beginners who have a Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) or mirrorless camera and want to learn how to shoot with more confidence and creative control. This is a hands-on workshop with a small group, live shooting demonstrations, and time for your questions. The instructor will cover all the topics listed below. We keep the class size small, so there’s time for interaction and problem solving.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Buttons and dials: locating and deciphering the physical controls on your camera.
- Basic menus & settings: file size, quality, JPG, RAW, TIFF, white balance and ISO.
- The viewfinder: what information is available and how it helps you.
- What’s in a name: Why your camera is called a DSLR and what goes on when you take a picture.
- Exposure: a thorough explanation of shutter speeds, f-stops and their relationship to ISO and light.
- Motion blur and depth of field: understanding these creative tools is the key to better photos!
- Exposure modes: getting off the green Auto mode and understanding the difference between P-A-S-M, (P-Av-Tv-M).
- Built-in flash: when to just say no.
- Focusing modes: if it’s called auto focus, why do some photos still turn out blurry? Taking control of how and where your camera focuses.
- Techniques for stability: stance, camera operation, holding the camera.
- Assignment: we will shoot photos together of live professional models.
- Assignment review: surprises and near-misses; we end the day with a live edit and slide show of your best shots.
This is an intensive full-day workshop. Some people learn best in that environment; others prefer smaller doses. If you’d prefer to break it into individual classes, take a look at the Beginner Digital Photography and Intermediate Digital Photography online series.
Dates & Times
- Saturday, June 26, 2021 @ 9:00 am 2021-06-26 09:00:00 2021-06-26 12:00:00 America/Chicago Beginner Digital Photography Full-Day Workshop //artandseek.org/calendar/event/107409/beginner-digital-photography-full-day-workshop Dallas Center for Photography, 4756 Algiers Street, Dallas, TX, 75207
- Saturday, July 17, 2021 @ 9:00 am 2021-07-17 09:00:00 2021-07-17 12:00:00 America/Chicago Beginner Digital Photography Full-Day Workshop //artandseek.org/calendar/event/107409/beginner-digital-photography-full-day-workshop Dallas Center for Photography, 4756 Algiers Street, Dallas, TX, 75207