This is a virtual event
These classes build from a basic introduction of the camera and its controls to the concepts and settings that determine exposure and focus. If you have a new digital camera or are coming back to photography after a long break this is the place to start.
This series of four sessions replaces the DSLR-1 and DSLR-2 classes that we’ve taught to more than 1,300 novice photographers over the last 10 years. Camera technology is evolving, and we’ve reworked the classes with new visuals, added a shoot and review session, and created teaching materials to include the increasing use of mirrorless cameras along with traditional DSLRs. If you’re not sure whether your camera is right for this class, check the FAQ tab or email us from the CONTACT page.
The Basics: A tour of your camera and a thorough overview of the fundamentals of exposure.
- Buttons and dials: locating and deciphering the physical controls on your camera.
- Basic menus & settings: file size, quality, file formats (JPG, RAW) white balance and ISO.
- How it works: the difference between mirrorless and DSLR cameras and what goes on when you take a picture.
- Exposure: a thorough explanation of shutter speeds, f-stops, and their relationship to ISO and light.
- Motion blur and depth of field: understanding the creative side of f-stops and shutter speed is key to better photos!
CLASS TWO AND THREE
Taking Control: Exposure modes and focus control.
- Exposure modes: you’ll learn how to actually control f-stop, shutter speed and exposure by moving beyond the green Auto mode and understanding the difference between P-A-S-M, (P-Av-Tv-M)
- Variable program mode: the hidden Program exposure mode that allows quick, creative control.
- Built-in flash: when to just say no and how to keep the flash from popping up at the wrong times.
- Focusing modes: If it’s called auto focus, why do some photos still turn out blurry or are focused in the wrong place? Learn control of where your camera focuses with focus point selection. Then learn about when the camera focuses and the difference between settings like AF-S/A/C (Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Lumix) and One Shot, Ai Focus, Ai Servo (Canon).
- Putting your new skills to work: You’ll receive some prompts and ideas for shooting photos using the concepts you’ve learned.
Image review: Learning by doing.
In this class, we’ll join in a fun and supportive image review of the photos you shot and submitted. If you’ve never had your images shown in front of others, don’t fret! Our teachers are gentle and encouraging, which we think is the best way to learn. This is usually the favorite part of any workshop and by bringing this experience to our class series, everyone will have a chance to share their successes and near-misses and learn from each other.
Dates & Times
- Thursday, July 29, 2021 @ 6:30 pm 2021-07-29 18:30:00 2021-07-29 21:30:00 America/Chicago Beginner Digital Photography Series - Virtual Event //artandseek.org/calendar/event/105901/beginner-digital-photography-series-virtual-event Dallas Center for Photography, 4756 Algiers Street, Dallas, TX, 75207