IN STUDIO: Jan 10 Paper Marbling
CLASS DATE: Sunday, January 10, 1-3pm
LOCATION: Oil andCotton Studio
INSTRUCTOR: Shannon Driscoll
NUMBER OF STUDENTS: We are limiting in person classes to 6 students. You must wear a mask throughout the entire class and adhere to our safety policies.
This one-day workshop is an eye opening introduction to the craft of of embellishing surfaces with colorful marbling. We will begin with a brief lecture on preparation and process. This includes sourcing and selecting materials, pretreating surfaces with a mordant, and a demonstration on mixing a Carrageenan marbling gel/size bath. Colors will be floated and manipulated on an aqueous surface and transferred to a paper or fabric surface, creating a unique pattern reminiscent of the natural look of marble, stones and liquid smoke. Class will focus on experimenting with marbling on paper and if we have time, a silk swatch.
We are excited to share this ancient technique used to embellish paper and fabric with swirls of color with you!
Students will learn:
- chemistry and how to coat papers and surface with an alum mordant
- how to make a Carrageenan size
- how mix and test a variety of paints with gall
- to make a splatter brush and other marbling tools from household items
- how to manipulate the floating paints to create magical patterns of color
Leave class with at least 12 sheets of marbled paper.
Dates & Times
- Sunday, January 10, 2021 @ 1:00 pm 2021-01-10 13:00:00 2021-01-10 16:00:00 America/Chicago IN STUDIO ART WORKSHOP: Paper Marbling //artandseek.org/calendar/event/105791/in-studio-art-workshop-paper-marbling Oil and Cotton Creative Exchange, 817 West Davis Street, #110, Dallas, TX, 75208