This workshop is for those who enjoy learning on their feet; be it galloping, dancing, sword-fighting, or just moving to the rhythms of Shakespeare’s words. Our “lively action” comes directly from Shakespeare’s Globe in London. Our guest artist instructors come from theaters and universities throughout the United States, creating connections that no other program in the Metroplex can boast!
Our three-week intensive is designed for those who possess an openness to engage in Shakespeare’s texts intellectually, imaginatively, physically, vocally, and emotionally. We strive to enchant, enrich, and build community through the shared knowledge of Shakespeare and his timeless stories.
You will be engaged in:
- Theater games brought directly from Shakespeare’s Globe in London!
- Stage fighting instruction by a certified fighting instructor
- Shakespeare’s scenes and monologues directed by our guest artists
- Improvisation-specific games to develop the imagination
- Acting for Stage
- Dance – physical workout daily!
- Voice – vocal workout daily!
- Set & Properties – design and construction
- Costuming design and construction
- Sound -design and engineering
- Lighting – design and engineering
- An adjudication board made up of professionals in the industry
- All students participate in this year’s production of Shakespeare’s comedy, A Midsummer Night’s Dream
MUCH ADO ABOUT SHAKESPEARE! SUMMER INTENSIVE 2020
- Open to all students from rising eighth grade through college
Auditions will be held in the Middle School Drama Room at Trinity Valley School from 2 - 4 pm on Thursday, May 21 and Friday, May 22.
- Callbacks will be from 1 p.m., Saturday, May 23, in the same space.
- You must call or email for an audition time [email protected] or [email protected]
- Each applicant must prepare a minimum 16-20-line Shakespearean monologue to perform at the audition and will be asked to read from A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- Callbacks will take place on Saturday, May 23, at 1:00 – 4 pm. At auditions, you will be given a copy of the script. Parts will be announced via email, text, and phone.
- Anyone unable to attend auditions and callbacks will be cast through special arrangements with the directors. Everyone attending Much Ado About Shakespeare! Summer Workshop who wants one will have a part in the play.
- Classes and rehearsals begin on June 8, 2020, at 12 p.m.
- Classes continue Monday through Friday, 12 – 3 p.m., until June 22. Rehearsals are the same days, in the afternoon, 3:00 – 6:00pm, This is different from years past. There will be no rehearsals after 6:00 pm until the last week of production. During the last week, we will resume the 6:00 – 9:00pm rehearsal schedule on that Monday and Tuesday to run dress and technical rehearsals.
- Performances are June 24, 25, 26 at 7:30 p.m. and June 27, at 2 p.m. in the Black Box Theater at Trinity Valley School. Each student may participate in an adjudicated Monologue performance on Friday, June 26, 12:00 – 4 p.m., followed by dinner and our Friday performance. Performances are free!
- Our final performance will be a matinee on Saturday, June 27, 2020, at 2 p.m., followed by a STRIKE of the set!
- To participate in the performance only, the tuition is $300. To participate in the performance and all workshops, the fee is $500.