Documenting the personal is as much about the photographer as it is about the subject matter in the photograph. Fundamental to this connection requires a deep dive into storytelling and the use of empathy and vulnerability in order to tell the most honest and meaningful version of the story. In this 2 ½ day workshop, participants will be asked to dig deep, explore their visual interests and then to go out and tell an intimate story…break down barriers and boundaries, push themselves to feel comfortable in the uncomfortable, and really allow themselves to grow as communicators, photographers, and humans.
This is a workshop about pushing yourself and your boundaries to discover new possibilities in personal storytelling and seeing the world through a new lens.
Over the last decade, instructor Nancy Borowick has narrowed the focus of her work, telling stories of health, struggle and personal relationships, using compassion, humility and trust as tools to connect with and explore the lives of her subjects. The photos featured on this page are from her book, The Family Imprint, which is an intimate visual story of her family as her parents underwent parallel treatments for stage-four cancer.
- How to approach and execute a story,
- Methods of how to approach, connect, engage and photograph everyone from family members to strangers,
- Finding empathy and vulnerability in your work,
- Developing trust with your subjects,
- Creating universal points of connection and finding those universal themes in individual stories,
- Techniques and strategies of working with the tools that you have (whether it be a traditional camera or a phone), and
- Working with what you’ve got, in terms environment, space, light, or lack thereof.
Dates & Times
- Friday, May 15, 2020 @ 6:00 pm 2020-05-15 18:00:00 2020-05-15 21:00:00 America/Chicago Exploring Intimacy and Vulnerability with Nancy Borowick //artandseek.org/calendar/event/103462/exploring-intimacy-and-vulnerability-with-nancy-borowick Dallas Center for Photography, 4756 Algiers Street, Dallas, TX, 75207