Happy Monday! Thanks for checking out Art&Seek’s weekly look back at the biggest and most important stories in the North Texas arts scene. If you or your friends want to know more about what’s happening in the North Texas arts world, check out our weekly newsletter. Click here to sign up.
A Quick Look At Art&Seek’s Reporting
- In the Artist Spotlight, Art&Seek’s Dane Walters caught up with Dallas photographer Justin Terveen. His pictures look like paintings. He captures stunning sunsets and lightning storms — and his work has brought a new perspective to the city’s skyline. His photos often go viral — even news outlets like CNN have taken notice — and he’s generated a loyal following on photo-sharing websites and social media.
- Photographer Dornith Doherty spent nine years documenting remote seed vaults around the world — and the seeds inside them. She even got inside the so-called doomsday vault — it’s in Norway, near the North Pole. It’s designed to help preserve samples of botanical life in case of worldwide catastrophe. Art&Seek’s Anne Bothwell spoke with Doherty about how she makes her ethereal work, which is on view at Fort Worth’s Amon Carter Museum of American Art.
In addition to the artists each collective is showing, Art Tooth is selling work from 40 artists! Those 40 artists are: @abbylockett, @angelalendz, @rapidheartmovement, @caandypaint, @actart123, @austinelisabeth, Barbara Koerble, @brothersisterdesign, @ben.groff, @carrie_sometimes, @chasewjohnson, @chrisbinghamart, @dopestoevsky, Cristin Martin, Danny Bolton, Elisha Addamz, @mancinism, #gillianbradshawsmith, @gwenmeharg, @the_art_flirt, @james_lassen, @jaywilkinsonart, @madam_sloth , @secondhandsirens23, @sonavor, Jordan Ricaurte, @kstipp, Sewer Humor, @lael_burns_studio, @tiburonarte, @chellycg, @mikemoffatt, @refillmyglass, @nealblangham, @pilarcervantes13, @rachel_pie_face, Shara Hammitt, @caveslayerr, @theowlandoctopus, @tinghuangphotography, and @wyattwoodruffadams! You won’t want to miss this many artists in one spot. 👨🏽🎨👩🏽🎨👨🏿🎨👩🏿🎨👨🏻🎨👩🏻🎨
- For many artists, securing gallery representation can seem like an unobtainable goal. Last year, Fort Worth arts collective Art Tooth set out on a mission to help. The group celebrated its anniversary on Saturday, but not before dropping by the KERA studios to talk with Art&Seek about its efforts and future.
- Singer-songwriter Steve Earl has dealt with heartbreak and loss. He’s battled drug addiction, lost several close friends and he’s been divorced six times. Recently, Art&Seek caught up with Earle while he was on tour for his newest album. It’s an album he admits was inspired by his outlaw country roots.
What Else You’ve Got To Know
- Dallas’ Arts & Culture Community Speaks Out Against ‘Bathroom Bill’ (Art&Seek)
- Recently Restored John Biggers Mural Travels to Tyler Museum of Art (Glasstire)
- What Do Young People Think About Cultural Equity? (Art&Seek)
- Remembering ‘Rhinestone Cowboy’ Glen Campbell (NPR)
- Santa Fe Opera: Steve Jobs, Fancy Directing And A Golden Rooster That’s Coming Here (Art&Seek)
- The Starfest Music Festival Will Not Be the Next Fyre Festival (D Magazine)
- Cara Mia’s ‘Deferred Action’ To Tour to Denton, Houston And LA (Art&Seek)
- ‘Casanova’ promises to seduce patrons at the Kimbell Art Museum (Dallas Morning News)
What We’re Reading
WikiLeaks! I love WikiLeaks. Emails exposed from Marina Abramović and her satanic sex cult rituals with the Podestas and crooked Hillary’s inner circle – widely reported, very sick. Drinking blood and breast milk – NASTY! Probably went to some of Hillary’s “cheese pizza” parties. If you’ve seen my 1995 commercial for Pizza Hut, you know I love pizza – but the stuffed crust kind, not the Comet Ping Pong kind. I went to Marina’s show at MoMA – people standing in line just to stare at her – total narcissist. I heard her retrospective in Stockholm was very poorly attended, nothing like the numbers at my inauguration. Everyone knows I won the popular vote if you discount all the Americans who eat pizza. True statement. #MarinaAbramovic #wikileaks
- Here’s Donald Trump as an Art Critic (Glasstire)
- Vandoliers Are a Texas Band (D Magazine)
- This App Is Like Spotify for Art Lovers (The Cut)
- Hamlet Lite (Theater Jones)
- The Absolute Best, Most Powerful Guide to Dallas’ Roller Rinks (D Magazine)
- Hashtag Winning (Theater Jones)
- What Would An Art Exhibition All About Trees Look Like? (Dallas Morning News)
- Zach Witness Lives His Dream (D Magazine)
- 3 Local Theaters Hope Their New Play Will Encourage Women to Be a Little Less Nice (Dallas Observer)
- The Met Python’s Flying Circus: A Museum, A Vase And The Kingpin Of Stolen Antiquities (Salon)
What We’re Listening To
- Inside ‘The Glass Castle’ (KERA’sThink)
- Sarah E. Freeman/Grady College Sex In The Suburbs: A Conversation With Novelist Tom Perrotta (KERA’s Think)
- Roy Robertson – “You Can Come Back”
What We’re Looking At
- The Big Screen: Horror Classics (Art&Seek)
- One More Celebrity Turned Artist: Jim Carrey (Glasstire)
- Fort Worth’s North Side Mariachi Ensemble Wins Top Honors At Nationals (Art&Seek)
- The Good, The Bad And The Ugly Location Reborn In Spain (BBC)
Photo Of The Week