Having completed its four on-campus presentations of the annual Candlelight Carol Service, the Hendrix College Choir will present two special tour performances of the service. The choir will perform on Thursday, Dec. 14, at First United Methodist Church in Dallas, Texas; and on Friday, Dec. 15, at First United Methodist Church in Little Rock, Ark. Both services begin at 7:30 p.m.
In 1963, under the direction of Robert McGill, the Hendrix College Choir began presenting a service of lessons and carols, modeled after the annual Christmas Eve service at King’s College in Cambridge, England. The Candlelight Carol Service has since become a significant Hendrix tradition. Each year, more than 1,200 people attend one of the four on-campus services during the last week of classes. After taking final exams, the Choir tours the region, performing the service at United Methodist churches in Arkansas and neighboring states. Repertoire featured in the Candlelight Carol Services changes yearly, and includes works from the 16th century to the present day. Selections for this year’s service include:
- Behold, I Come, the 2017 Carol Competition Winner composed by Janet Wheeler
- O Radiant Dawn by James MacMillan
- Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland from BWV 61 by Johann Sebastian Bach
- Eit barn er født i Bethlehem, a Norwegian carol arranged by Ørjan Matre
- In Dulci Jubilo by Matthew Culloton
- Several additional classic hymns for the Christmas season.
Founded in 1876, Hendrix College has been affiliated with the United Methodist Church since 1884. To learn more about Hendrix College visit www.hendrix.edu.