Welcome to the Solstice – the coming of light as daylight begins to increase once again. The celebration features entertainment, children’s activities, storytelling, Yule log burning, drumming, psychic readings and more on Dec. 16th from 6:30-9:30 pm. The event is presented by the Labyrinth Walk Coffee House (LWCH), a nonprofit, at the UU Church at 3839 W. Kiest Blvd in Oak Cliff. Admission and parking is free. Cash donations welcome for performers and the event. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
The following is the schedule of events:
In Faith Building from 6:30-9:00:
- Chanting with Autumn & UUCOC Chanters
- Opening Ceremony by Kathy “Spin Goddess” Kinkaid http://spingoddess.blogspot.com/
- John Mason John Mason has performed with several bands in southern California during the 1970s & 80s. He relocated to Grand Prairie and now performs locally. Strumming his guitar, Mason lets loose a contemporary style of folk, country and Americana tunes. You can sample his songs at https://www.reverbnation.com/johnmasonmusic
Ongoing from 7:30-9:00:
- Refreshments: offered in both the Faith and Hope kitchens.
- Earth Loom Decorating: Outdoors. “The Earth Loom is a living symbol, planted in the ground, of our intention to weave together the fabric of community. . . . The Earth Loom helps communities to unite hands and hearts and build and weave together an emblem and an instrument of peace.” You may bring your own cuttings or use the organic items provided to weave into the loom. http://www.livingcrafts.com/ blog/
- The Labyrinth Walk: Outdoors. Walk Labyrinth built in 1999 by many loving hands in the woods behind the church. The Labyrinth Walk, recently renovated, is registered. Walking a labyrinth brings a different meaning and experience to everyone. Walking the labyrinth is also synonymous with moving through the trials and tribulations of life. It is a safe place for people to develop their own spirituality. http://sacredwalk.com/ history/
- Yule Log Burning: Outdoors. The Yule log will be kindled and led by Darvin Stephens in a clearing behind beyond the Labyrinth Walk. The custom of burning the Yule Log goes back to, and before, medieval times. It was originally a Nordic tradition. Yule is the name of the old Winter Solstice festivals in Scandinavia and other parts of northern Europe, such as Germany. Initially, it was an entire tree, carefully chosen, brought into the house with great ceremony. The log would be lit from the remains of the previous year's log which had been carefully stored away and slowly fed into the fire through the 12 days of Christmas. http://www.whychristmas.com/ customs/yulelog.shtml
- Twice Upon a Time Storytellers: Gene and Peggy Helmick-Richardson see storytelling - fun way to make a living - but recognize that sharing tales is a serious responsibility. The two have a combined 45+ years of storytelling experience and 15 years together. Gene and Peggy's storytelling adventures have taken them from schools and libraries to festivals and community events. They have regular storytelling commitments to a local drug and alcohol treatment center, federal penitentiary, and county jail. www.twicetellers.com https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=Vz-NZf35QvE
- Children's Activities will be offered in Hope building
- Vendors in Hope – do some Christmas Shopping:
- Just☆in Time Creations: Wizarding Wands and Dragon Eggs, just in time for the holidays! Creations of Justin Grey & Kathy Grey
- Judy's Shadows: Mixed media includes repurposed items, one of a kind Shadow Boxes, plaques, night lights, etc. www.facebook.com/ judysshadowetc/
- Becker's Crystals & Crafts: Hand-crafted bracelets, necklaces, beadery, wire jewelry from a variety of materials.
- The Beth Things in Life are Ferree: Beth specializes in handmade items created with recycled fabric.
- L. Candli Campbell: Handmade Holistic Products such as candles, soap, sprays, and more. Holistic Innovations was created as an avenue for Candli to offer alternative healing modalities and other services that promote harmonic balance and healing.
- Psychic Readers in Hope - sign up on wall
- Jennifer Valdez is a spiritual healer, teacher, artist, and philosopher. As an empath, she has a gift for connecting with individuals quickly, and helping them open up and cleanse their energies. www. jennifervaldezhealer.com
- Sherry Coffman is a Reiki Master Teacher, certified DNA ThetaHealing® Instructor and Young Living essential oils Distributor. During sessions with Sherry, you will receive a combination of Reiki, DNA Theta Healing® and Chakra Healing. www.radiantmoonreiki.com
- Anita Tryon, who reads as Cornucopia, began the study of Angel Cards under Dr. Patricia Lane in her Initiative Angel Card Reading classes. She also studied under her mentor, Carolyn P. Little, who is a Psychic Medium.
9:00 - 9:30 Closing Ceremony:
- Blessing in Faith Sanctuary by Sarah Ricke
- Drums Not Guns: Drums Not Guns is a non-profit dedicated to promoting peace through the power of percussion. Drums Not Guns seeks to provide at risk youths with alternatives to gangs and a model of cooperative problem solving and interaction. Leader Michael Kenny is a board-certified music therapist and the only TaKeTiNa Rhythm Healing teacher in Texas. http://www.drumsnotguns.org/about-us