This workshop is for you if you’ve taken our Beginner Workshop, the first two Evening Courses or have the equivalent level of experience. In this workshop we’ll dig deeper into the equipment and get further into the creative choices and challenges of consistently taking good photos, even in challenging lighting conditions.
We’ll pick up where the beginner workshop left off and go deeper into important technical controls on your camera and then move into the creative aspects of photography including composition and lens choices.
- The light meter: understanding how your camera reads and measures light and how it can sometimes cause exposure problems.
- Exposure control: bracketing, exposure compensation and reading a histogram.
- Tricky exposures: how to get good exposures in tricky situations including backlight and high contrast settings.
- Support & stability: keeping your images sharp and vibration free through the proper use of tripods, monopods, stance, leaning & breathing.
- Dust & cleaning: when to worry about lens and sensor dust and how to get rid of it.
- Focal length and maximum aperture: deciphering the numbers on your lens.
- Lenses: creativity vs practicality (and cost!). How to select lenses as creative tools. A look at ultra wides, telephoto, zooms, primes, macro and some surprisingly affordable options.
- Sensor sizes: full frame vs. cropped sensor and what difference it makes to your photography and lens selections.
- Creative motion blur: using slow shutter speeds as a creative tool for both low light situations and to purposely blur movement.
- Composition: the architecture of a photograph, some rules and when to break them
- The art of photography: stepping beyond the elements of exposure and focus and thinking about color, gesture, timing and other creative aspects of photography.
This is a small group, hands-on workshop. In the afternoon we’ll shoot professional models under a variety of lighting conditions, some of them challenging, so you can test out your new skills and control. We’ll end the day with a live editing session of your images and a concluding slide show.
(lunch is included in the price of the workshop)