A few North Texas natives were announced today as recipients of the 2011 Texas Medal of the Arts. Author Robert Edsel of Dallas and TV newsman Bob Schieffer and actor Bill Paxton, both of Fort Worth, were among the honorees announced at a luncheon at the Winspear Opera House. The awards are presented by the Texas Cultural Trust.
Ray Benson, another of this year’s honorees, said after the event that he hopes that in showing off the state’s artistic achievements, the arts as a whole will receive more support.
“It’s so easy in this day and age to cut the spending and the attention that the arts need by our governments and our schools, and it’s so important that they understand both from a cultural standpoint and an economic standpoint what this means,” he said.
The complete list of 2011 Texas Medal of the Arts winners:
- Mezzo-soprano Barbara Smith Conrad (Lifetime Achievment)
- Author Robert M. Edsel (Literary
- Harry Ransom Center Director Tom Staley (Art Education)
- Artist James Drake (Visual Arts)
- Houston’s Alley Theatre (Theater)
- H.E.B. (Corporate)
- CBS News anchor Bob Schieffer (Television)
- Musician and writer Ray Benson (Multi-media)
- Austin philanthropists Ernest and Sarah Butler (Individual Patrons)
- Marcia Gay Harden (Film Actress)
- Bill Paxton (Film Actor)
- ZZ Top (Music
The winners will receive their awards from Gov. Rick Perry at a March 1 ceremony in Austin.